Professor Srikrishna Deva Rao is an Indian law professor. As of 2019, he is the Vice Chancellor at National Law University Odisha. He was previously a full professor and Registrar at National Law University, Delhi.
Rao has worked in legal education and research at National Law School of India University, Bangalore, Nalsar University of Law, Hyderabad, Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar and National Law University, Delhi. Rao was also the founding Director of the School of Law at Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi.
He served on the UGC expert committee to transform legal education in India. He was a consultant to the Indian Medical Association (IMA), Swedish Development Cooperation (SDC), Sir Dorabji Tata Trust, Child Rights and You and Swedish National Science Foundation.
- Indian Society of Criminology Award for Senior Social Scientist, Dr. Haikerwal and Prof. Sushil Chandra Award by ISC, Chennai, 2015
- ICSSR Research Grant for project on “Exploring Changing Dynamics of Children’s laws in India in Post Liberalization Era” (2016–18)
- Ford Foundation Research Fellow at Centre for Culture, Media and Governance (CCMG), Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi (2011–12)
- Srikrishna Deva Rao (2013). Paralegal Education in India: Problems and Prospects, Journal of National Law University, Delhi1: 94–105
- Srikrishna Deva Rao (2013). Mapping of media law curriculum related to legal education in India
Initiatives at NLUO
At National Law University Odisha Rao has taken several initiatives to strengthen the teaching–learning process and research.
- The NAAC Self Study Reportof NLUO mentions some of his initiatives at NLUO
- The University has set up Community College in 2016 under the UGC Scheme to prepare “barefoot lawyers” to strengthen the justice delivery system in India.
- The Project on Access to Justice is another initiative of the University supported by Department of Justice, Ministry of Law & Justice, Government of India and UNDP. Under this Project, the University has set up three village Legal Aid Clinics in Dompada village in Cuttack, Jankia in Khurda and Brahmagiri in Puri district. These Village Legal Aid Clinics are intended to improve access to justice in marginalised communities.
- NLUO will have faculty exchange and joint research with globally reputed institutions.
- An MOU with National Institute of Securities Markets(NISM) has been signed in November 2016. The MOU is designed to foster academics and research between the two institutes, thereby promoting capacity building in securities markets both in training and employment.
- Another MoU has been signed between Competition Commission of India (CCI) and NLUO
- NLUO has recently been accredited by NAAC at A Grade