Rajan Beharilal Raheja was born in 1953, the son of Dr. Beharilal S. Raheja.
His cousin Chandru Raheja is also a billionaire.
Rajan Raheja started his career in the construction business. After building a huge presence in the realty market, his Rajan Raheja Group diversified into manufacturing, financial services and media — each venture initiated to assume leadership in core areas. The group is a major media player in India, being the owners of Outlook magazine. They also have a significant stake in the growing convergence business in India, through Asianet Satellite Communications Ltd. and Hathway Cable & Datacom Ltd. He is of Sindhi origin.
Rajan Raheja group companies
Starting as a construction and real estate development company, the Raheja group now covers a range of business ventures. They include:
Prism Johnson Ltd., having three divisions, namely – (i) Prism Cement with two cement units, has a combined production capacity of 7.0 million tonnes.
(ii)H&R Johnson (India) Ltd., the top name in ceramic tiles in India. (iii) RMC Readymix (India) Pvt. Ltd. was set up in 1996 as a joint venture of the Raheja group with RMC Group Plc of the UK. It is now a division of Prism Johnson Ltd. It operates 80 ready-mixed concrete plants in 35 cities/towns across India and is the third-largest concrete manufacturer in the country.
- Exide Industries: is the strongest brand of batteries in the automotive and industrial field. Indian largest battery manufacturer. The Company has a distribution network comprising over 4000 dealer outlets. The Company has a market share of 72% of Automotive OEM and 70% of Organized Retail. The Company also manufactures submarine batteries.
- Supreme Petrochem is a joint venture of the Raheja group with Supreme IndustriesLtd., the largest processor of plastic materials in India.
- Outlook publications: a weekly political news magazine in India
- Asianet Satellite Communications: owns and operates a fibre optic cable network in Kerala
- Raheja QBE : General insurance company
- Exide Life Insurance Company Limited : JV with ING in financial services. Later fully acquired by Exide Industries. Now it is called Exide Life Insurance Company Limited.
Retail and wholesale
- Tile Bazaar
- Globus Stores
- Health & Glow
Raheja group holds 36.75% in EIH associated hotels ltd
He is married to Suman, and they have two sons, Akshay and Viren, and live in Mumbai.